The Government of Jersey is looking for an interim appointment to the Chief Executive and Head of Public Service for a period of 6 to 12 months pending recruitment to the permanent role.
The role is accountable to the Chief Minister
The role is:
- the Chief Executive Officer to the Council of Ministers
- the principal adviser to the States Employment Board
- chair of the Executive Leadership Team comprising of Directors General and senior officers from Non-Ministerial Departments
- Chief Executive of the Island’s Public Service
- Principle Accounting Officer
The role is required to provide information and evidence to the Scrutiny Committees of the States of Jersey, the Public Accounts Committee and the Comptroller and Auditor General.
As an interim role, this position is expected to maintain the current direction of travel, whilst identifying opportunities for improvement. The individual will be required to prepare the organisation for the arrival of a new chief executive once appointed. The following are key priorities for the Chief Minister:
Leadership: to provide leadership to the public service and continuity of the One Government initiative. This includes leadership in delivering the essential culture of public service and public services reform.
People Management: chair, lead and direct the Executive Leadership Team; to ensure the line management of Directors General and the Office of the Chief Executive (OCE) to drive accountability and delivery.
Financial Management: lead the rebalancing of public finances, in particular, ensure that £20m of identified efficiencies are delivered, as well as c.£14m of previously unrealised efficiencies are delivered in 2021; and identify at least £20m of further sustainable efficiencies for delivery in 2022.
Governance: Promote and uphold good governance within the public service including ensuring oversight and compliance of Accounting Officers.
Major Programmes: Set direction and ensure the delivery of the following major programmes of work, including the interface with the relevant political groups:
- Government Plan: delivery against the priorities of the Council of ministers and the development of the next Government Plan.
- Office Strategy: continued development of the strategy for a One Government HQ, including the rationalisation of office space (both owned and leased) to deliver savings in overall accommodation. This will also lead into the wider Estate Strategy, with wholesale approach to the estates owned by the States of Jersey for commercial, development and disposal as required.
- Our Hospital: continued development of the strategy for a new-build hospital on a site agreed by the States Assembly to the desired timetable and budgets allocated and mobilisation to design and build phases.
- Jersey Care Model: continue the development and implementation of the new model for care across Jersey, ensuring that community providers are properly involved throughout.
- Fort Regent Regeneration: continue the development of plans to regenerate the Fort Regent site.
- Technology transformation: ensure the delivery of the benefits of the technology transformation programme across the Government estate.
- Workforce Reform: establish and deliver a strategy for workforce reform through the Total Reward Programme, Team Jersey and continued implementation of the One Government principles. Promoting 'social value' and enabling islanders back to work.
- Covid-19 Response: Lead the development of the Government’s continued response to Covid-19 including advice to the Competent Authorities (Ministerial Group) and the Emergencies Council to anticipate and respond to the changing demands of Covid-19 within the Island.
- Economic Recovery: Lead and develop an economic recovery plan for the Island, working with key industries to deliver a short-term response post-Covid and post-Brexit and a medium- to -longer-term strategy for economic growth and rebalancing the economy.
- Post-Brexit: lead and deliver plans for post-Brexit resilience.
Specific to the role and person specification:
- Extensive experience of leading the c-suite of a large, complex organisation with demonstrable delivery of tangible results
- Experience of driving progress across a varied portfolio of responsibilities, driving accountability and delivery throughout a large organisation
- Experience of leading and motivating an executive leadership team
- Experience of leading large capital programmes
- An understanding of the gravitas required in handling the unique Jersey ecosystem and the scrutiny that comes with it, on a small Island
- An understanding of the challenges involved in leading public and regulated services within a political environment
- An understanding of the international context within which Jersey is placed and the strategic implications for the government of Jersey
- Ability to communicate, engage and connect to a wide audience, particularly within the Jersey context
- Ability to focus over a short period of time to maintain and enhance existing programmes of work
- Ability to effect sustainable change in a short period of time.
For an informal discussion on this role and to apply, please contact Jes Ladva at our advising search partners Odgers on Jes.Ladva@odgers.com